5 WAYS TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR FURNACE
Do you rely on a furnace to keep you warm in winter? If so, you should know that continuous use can take a toll on this appliance. Fortunately, there are things you can to keep it in good condition. Here are five steps you can take to extend the life of your furnace.
- Install a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat can help lessen the burden placed on your furnace. You can set it to automatically lower the temperature when you’re away and increase the temperature when you’re at home. You’ll reduce the amount of strain placed on your furnace and save money on your heating bills as well.
- Change the filter regularly. A dirty filter can impede air flow to and from your furnace, therefore making it work harder than necessary. Replacing or cleaning the filter when it’s dirty can extend the life of your furnace by years. The recommended frequency with which you should change the filter depends on the air quality in your home and the type of filter your furnace uses. Check it at least once a month, and replace or clean it when it looks dirty.
- Upgrade your insulation. Your furnace will need to work overtime to maintain a comfortable temperature in your home if there are drafts or air leaks. Fortunately, increasing the amount of insulation in your house can help keep it toasty without needing to overwork your furnace.
- Routinely inspect the condenser. At least once a month, take a good look at the condenser unit that’s outside your home. While it’s built to withstand the elements, it can still get blocked or damaged by debris, falling branches or inclement weather. Check it regularly for signs of damage and remove any materials that have accumulated on or around the unit.
- Schedule regular maintenance. Your furnace and HVAC system should be professionally inspected every fall. This service includes a thorough visual inspection, lubrication of all moving parts, cleaning the condenser and other tasks that help to extend the life of your furnace and make it more efficient.
Furnace maintenance in Calgary
If you want to extend the life of your furnace, regular maintenance is a must. Fortunately, Harmony Heating & Air Conditioning provides schedule maintenance calls for commercial and residential clients in Calgary. Contact us today to find out more or schedule an appointment.