6 WAYS TO IMPROVE INDOOR AIR QUALITY
Studies have shown that the air inside homes and buildings can sometimes be more polluted than the air outside. Since air quality directly impacts your health, it’s important to take steps to eradicate pollutants. Indeed, air pollution can increase your risk of developing allergies, respiratory infections, heart disease, stroke, lung cancer and more. Here are six ways to improve the air quality in your home.
- Keep your home clean. Cleaning your house can help reduce the amount of dust, pet dander and mould you breathe in. Clear clutter, dust surfaces, regularly wash your bedding and drapes and vacuum your carpets and rugs weekly.
- Use bathroom and kitchen fans. Exhaust fans pull air out of the home so that it can be replaced with clean, fresh air. In addition, kitchen fans help remove toxic cooking fumes. Make sure to wash your fan filters regularly.
- Open the windows. It’s a good idea to allow fresh air to circulate through your home as it will help improve ventilation. You should open your windows regularly, even in the winter months.
- Maintain a healthy level of humidity. It’s a good idea to keep a dehumidifier running throughout the humid summer months. Central air conditioners help to reduce moisture levels in your home. They also help to control allergens and reduce indoor pollen counts. However, you may need a humidifier to add humidity into your home during the winter months, when forced air can dry out your living space to unhealthy levels.
- Invest in an air purifier. To help remove irritants and allergens from your home, consider investing in an air purifier. Electronic air cleaners (EACs), also known as ionizers, clean the air using electronically-charged filters. They’re an excellent option for purifying the air in your home. They can even capture and eliminate airborne viruses.
- Clean your HVAC filters. Heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems help maintain air quality by circulating and filtering indoor air. To keep your HVAC system running smoothly and ensure the air is adequately purified, be sure to regularly clean or replace the filters. The system you own and the environment inside your home will determine the frequency with which you should do so. In addition, keep your air ducts and vents open and clean.
Residential and commercial ventilation in Calgary
Harmony Heating & Air Conditioning offers a range of ventilation services to keep the air in your home or business clean and healthy. We install and repair kitchen ventilation systems, home humidifiers, heat recovery ventilators and more. Our expert technicians can address all your ventilation concerns. Contact us today to learn more about our services.